Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Egg white omelette, anyone?

I was definitely off my game today. I was also sort of off my game yesterday too. I hope this doesn't last the whole week... Apologies in advance because there are absolutely no pictures in this post. We just didn't entirely complete anything and the stages that our desserts were in by the end of the day didn't really warrant photographic evidence.

We started with finishing off the last of the recipe instructions in our giant booklet. Once we got to the kitchen, Jean-Luc assigned us the New York Style Cheesecake. But, instead of the large one with the graham cracker crust, we were going to make little ones in a silicone pan (sort of shallow donut shapes) and the "crust" was just going to be a bit of white chocolate. That way, this dessert would be gluten-free. I thought that the cheesecake would be easy as pie (or, cheesecake...) because I'm so used to making it. But then I started to doubt myself and my abilities and I sort of psyched myself out. It was fairly straightforward, except that this recipe called for a few things that I don't use in my cheesecakes (e.g. sour cream). After mixing everything in, we scooped it into the pan, right to the top. After they had baked for about 20 minutes, we let them come down to room temperature and then put them in the blast freezer for a while. Once they had hardened, we took them out and used our fingers to spread a thin layer of white chocolate on the tops (that would become the bottom) and then we popped them out of the pan and set them on a baking tray. After they were all done, we covered them and put them in the fridge. I think we are probably going to be topping them with fruit of some sort, but probably not til later in the week.

After this, we worked on our pumpkin cake from yesterday. I really love the cake part of this, because it's super moist and really delicious. I didn't think I would like a pumpkin cake, but it just takes like fall and it's really yummy. I may have taken the extra cake home and eaten it with whipped cream on top of it for "lunch"... We had to cut the cake into three pieces (we were only using two layers, hence the extra), and trim it to slightly smaller than a large cake ring. Then, we made the filling, which was essentially a milk chocolate ganache that we added whipped cream to once it was cooled down. EXCEPT, I didn't let the ganache cool in the blast freezer long enough, because once we added the whipped cream to it, the mixture (which was supposed to be a buttercream consistency) was just really, really runny. Before Jean-Luc could even say anything when I took it out of the fridge I just prefaced showing it to him with, "I think I did something wrong." That's when he told me that it must be because I didn't let the ganache mixture cool down enough. We poured it onto the cake anyway; it would just take a much longer time to set. After a half-hour chill in the blast freezer, we put it in the regular freezer. I also made a milk chocolate miroir, which is just a fancy name for a glaze, I think. This was also like making a ganache. After this was done, it went in the fridge too. We're going to finish up the cake (glaze and decorations) later in the week. But we're essentially making the same cake that Jean-Luc demonstrated for us before Thanksgiving. The decorations include chocolate swirls and circles and other crazy things, which is great because there's nothing I love more than chocolate work...

Our last task of the day was when things really started going awry. It was all because of the egg whites. When you use eggs and you are whipping them, Jean-Luc keeps telling us that they are supposed to be at room temperature, because they whip better. But, every time I tried to heat up the egg whites, they just started to cook. They were cold and were taking forever to warm up and then suddenly they were cooked. I sort of lost it on my second time and then my partner took over the egg white part. While this was happening, we were also heating up a sugar mixture and a gelatin/vanilla/Arabic gum mixture. We were supposed to start whipping the egg whites when the sugar was at a strong boil. But, even though we did this, while I was watching the sugar, Jean-Luc told my partner that she had already over-mixed the egg whites. (They sort of looked like what you think clouds would feel like.) So, we had to do the egg whites for the FOURTH time. This time, Jean-Luc said to just put them in the bowl and not bother with heating them up. While the whites were mixing, we were waiting for the sugar mixture to get to 120 degrees celsius. Once this was done (actually, we got to about 118), the egg whites weren't quite ready so Jean-Luc increased the speed on the KitchenAid and let them whip for a little bit longer. He said that it was okay for the sugar to wait a bit for the egg whites, but not the other way around. After it had formed soft peaks, I think, I got the okay to pour the sugar mixture in slowly. After that was incorporated, we poured the gelatin in. Then, we let it mix until it formed stiff peaks. Once the mixture was ready, we placed it on a greased sheet of parchment paper dusted with corn starch and icing sugar (I initially put way too much grease on it, so we had to wipe it down and then re-dust... sigh). The mixture went right in the centre of the parchment paper, we added some more corn starch/icing sugar on top, placed a second greased/dusted sheet of parchment paper over it, and then rolled it out with our rolling pins using the metal rulers. They were about half an inch thick, if I had to guess. Then, we saran-wrapped it and set it aside. We're not going to cut it into the shapes that we want -- I'm not sure what those are yet. I do NOT like making marshmallows. I am pretty sure I will never voluntarily do this again. Highlight of this process (surprising that there even was one): when Jean-Luc saw our discarded KitchenAids filled with egg whites and said, "Hey, Safia, were you making an egg white omelette here?" And I just replied, "Yes."

Overall, I do like doing the stuff for the fundraiser because it does seem like a much less intense pace even though we are making so much stuff. But, today was not ideal. So, hopefully tomorrow will be better...

---

Today's Recipes

New York Style Cheesecake
Pumpkin Milk Chocolate Cake
Marshmallow

No comments:

Post a Comment